Running PYNQ on RTOS

Hello

I believe that PYNQ has the potential to be RTOS-agnostic just like how it is board-agnostic. This is just me from researching, but if the RTOS supports Python and its image gives us the same files that the PYNQ image build produces, then there should be a way to make a PYNQ image for that RTOS! I believe this can be done through tinkering with the PYNQ image build flow process. It would be awesome if this can be done, and am going to try it. What are your opinions on its potential?

If you use RTOS then you also lose a lot of package support (numpy, scipy, opencv, etc.). That is the reason why we focused on ubuntu-like OS.

Hi Rock,

Thank you for replying! So the main reason I wanted to leverage PYNQ for my Xilinx Board was to write tests in python. The testing framework and pynq’s python packages (Ex. pynq.mmio, pynq. gpio & etc) were the main packages I wanted to utilize. The board that i wanted to run tests for utilizes an RTOS. This is why I was interested with Running PYNQ on an RTOS.

But I didn’t know about losing the package support detail, so I appreciate you telling me! :slight_smile: