3.3V <-> 5V level shifter for Pynq Z1?

Hi folks,

I’m trying to interface Z1 with 5V TTL signals using either the PMOD connector or whatever it has. Since the board doesn’t support signal level >3.4V, I will need a level shifter. As I searched around, all such things I found requires double power supply 3.3V and 5V. I hope to let it work alone where there’s no 5V power supply. Can anyone recommend a decent level shifter that:

• has at least one channel, and
  • has an on-board booster that generate 5V from 3.3V which I can get from Z1, and
  • working frequency >1MHz (10MHz better, 100MHz great), and
  • (would be better) can mechanically connect to the board firmly. Maybe two-row connector on the board will make connection stronger.

Any advice is appreciated.

1 Like

You might want to use single supply logic convertor like SN74LV1T34 on the interfaced 5V logic device side, picking 5V input from it and having 3.3V logic on PYNQ-Z1 side. It has a great working/switching frequency.

1 Like

I am using GadgetFactory’s level shifter design. It has a theoretical GHz speed limit.
It is out of stock, but I’ve made my own. I don’t know if it is allowed to point to blog posts here on the forum. If it is, I’ll post a link to my post that contains the PCB layout and BOM.

It’s a one level shifter: It translates 5V to 3V3 so that the ZYNQ doesn’t get damaged. It doesn’t boost 3V3 to 5V.
Most TTL logic treats 3V3 as Logic High. If that doesn’t serve your purpose, you can’t use this design.

1 Like