Creating radar from RFSoC 4x2

Hi, I wish to create a FMCW radar from the RFSoC 4x2, and be able to take range and doppler measurements from it.

Since I am still new to the PYNQ framework and the RFSoC 4x2 board, any help would be appreciated - I am stuck on getting started.

Since and FMCW radar exceeds the out-of-the-box capabilities of the board, I have a few questions:

1. Should I design a custom overlay, or use an HDL-only design?
    a) What is the process of designing a custom overlay? (what do I have to do regarding IP blocks, device tree, bitstream, etc.)
    b) How could I make the design entirely in HDL? (how do I configure the DACs and ADCs, generate the waveforms, etc. in HDL)

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi, I would appreciate if anyone could help me out with this, I am feeling very lost at the moment.

Hi,
None of these questions are really related to PYNQ which is why you may not have received a reply. You may be better posting on other forums.
For a design, you will need to configure the RFDC (RF Data Converter) IP using Vivado IP Integrator. You can design your own HDL IP and import it into Vivado IP integrator.
You can also use HLS, or you may be able to find some IP in the Vivado IP catalog that you can reuse.
For details of a FMCW radar design, there may not be many people who can office advice on this part.

Cathal