.tcl file cannot be parsed correctly

I have designed my PS+PL system on Digilent Zybo Board. And I generated .bit and bd.tcl files exactly aligned with Pynq tutorials.

But it seems that tcl file cannot be correctly parsed with errors of “‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘group’”

System info: Zybo (XC7Z010-1CLG400C), petalinux ubuntu 15.10, pynq 2.0, Vivado 2023.2 (Win 11)

I will appreciate it if someone can help with it.

Hi @starkerfirst,

Welcome to the PYNQ community.

PYNQ v2.0 has only been tested with Vivado 2016.1 PYNQ SD Card image — Python productivity for Zynq (Pynq)

I suggest you move to the latest version.

Mario

Many thanks with your reply.

So you mean .tcl format has changed a lot across these versions?

And I encountered problems while trying to upgrade pynq package via pip. It says pynq package can not be found in the default pip source. So I must recompile linux image with the newest pynq from the very begining?

So you mean .tcl format has changed a lot across these versions?

Probably, tcl is not used in newer PYNQ versions.

And I encountered problems while trying to upgrade pynq package via pip. It says pynq package can not be found in the default pip source. So I must recompile linux image with the newest pynq from the very begining?

You cannot upgrade with pip. You need a new SD card image with the latest version of PYNQ.
You will need to rebuild the SD card image for your board.

Mario

Many thanks with your suggestions.

I have moved to v3.0.1 image, and now the problem above is solved. However, a new error happens:

I found your solution on github:
RuntimeError: Programming Device failed: ENODEV (19) No such device · Issue #65 · Xilinx/xup_vitis_network_example (github.com)
And I followed it to upgrade xrt version to the newest one. But an error called “unknown OS flavor pynqlinux” when I run src/runtime_src/tools/scripts/xrtdeps.sh script to build xrt. I have no idea why this would happen.

Best Regards

Hi @starkerfirst,

The solution you linked is not applicable for embedded devices.

How have you generated the SD card image for Zybo?

Mario

I generated BOOT.bin, devicetree.dtb and image.ub for Zybo. Then I use precompiled SD image (Digilent Pynq Z1) to burn, and replace original files by Zybo’s. Is it the core problem to cause error?

It seems that Linux cannot recognize and program PL correctly. So maybe I should modify devicetree.dtb?

Best Regards

Hi @starkerfirst,

Doing this file manipulation is something we do not recommend.

We recommend you build the complete SD card image for this board making the necessary changes.

Mario

Thank you for your advice. The reason I did not build image completely is that my PC is lack of disk capacity to install Vivado in ubuntu. So I skipped this step.

Anyway I have found a solution for No Such Device error: just to comment line 529 is fine. Now my zybo can program PL to my design. It is interesting that this error did not corrupt the whole system.

Many thanks for your help these days. I learned a lot from Pynq community.

1 Like