Transmission in pynqZ1 fpga through uart

How to transmit image through uart in pynqz1fpga

You would write an image as a file byte by byte and would need something to listen on the receiving end and reconstruct the file.

I would strongly discourage you from sending data like this through the UART.

I’m assuming you are asking about sending something from host computer via UART to the ARM PS UART, but you could also be referring to
ARM processor → UART to host computer
PL → External UART
External UART to PL
ARM UART → PL
PL UART to ARM

Can you give some more information about what you are trying to do? Where is the source image or images, what size, how many do you need to transfer, do you need to automate this, or do it manually.

You have a number of options to “push” or “pull” data to the board via the network connection. Samba, FTP, from the internet, sockets, etc. You can also upload files directly through the Jupyter notebook interface.

Cathal

actually i am doing a project on image steganography in which i have to load a grey scale image of size 256x256 in PYNQZ1 fpga board and after embeding the data in the image i have to transmit the image to another PYNQZ1 FPGA board where the data will be de embed. i will load the image in memory card and then i will embed the data i want to do this whole process in PYNQZ1 FPGA board kindly can you guide me how i suppose to do this project.

can i access UART of the PYNQZ1 FPGA board through python?

actually i am doing a project on image steganography in which i have to load a grey scale image of size 256x256 in PYNQZ1 fpga board and after embeding the data in the image i have to transmit the image to another PYNQZ1 FPGA board where the data will be de embed. i will load the image in memory card and then i will embed the data i want to do this whole process in PYNQZ1 FPGA board kindly can you guide me how i suppose to do this project.

How fast do you need to do the transfer between the two boards? I assume if UART is an option, not very fast?
A simple way to do this would be to connect two boards via a switch, and write the image to a a shared network drive from one board, and read it from the other. The shared drive could be the SD card on one of the boards.

You have lots of other options if you wanted higher speed. E.g. send data via the HDMI wires between boards, but this would require you to build the design to control this interface.

Cathal

1 Like