Trying ZCU111 to run basic PL functionality

PYNQ version 3.0.1 and 2.7.0 & ZUC111 & Vivado 2023.2

Hi All, I’m just trying to get started with PYNQ. I managed to get the PYNQ running on my ZCU111 board and trying to run the Jupyter notebooks that come with the respective PYNQ images. The basic notebooks containing pythin has no issue. However, when I try to run the following command

import os, warnings
from pynq import PL
from pynq import Overlay

if not os.path.exists(PL.bitfile_name):
    warnings.warn('There is no overlay loaded after boot.', UserWarning)

I get the following error
:6: UserWarning: There is no overlay loaded after boot.
warnings.warn(‘There is no overlay loaded after boot.’, UserWarning)

Now if I run the following commands

from pynq.overlays.base import BaseOverlay
overlay = BaseOverlay("base.bit")

I get the following error

ModuleNotFoundError Traceback (most recent call last)
in
----> 1 from pynq.overlays.base import BaseOverlay
2 overlay = BaseOverlay(“base.bit”)

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘pynq.overlays.base’

I checked and I couldn’t dine any "base.bit " file within the linux directory structure yet alone within home/xilinx. I expected that ‘base.bit’ should be included in the PYNQ image for the respective board.
I really appriaicte if anyone can guide me how to get base.bit and other supported

Hi Thushara,

Where are you attempting to run these commands? Within the Jupyter environment, a serial connection, or within an SSH session? If you are running commands outside the Jupyter environment you will need to setup the PYNQ venv. You can do this within a terminal by running the following commands:

sudo su
source /etc/profile.d/pynq_env.sh
source /etc/profile.d/xrt_setup.sh

sudo su is required here as you need root privileges to access certain hardware components, including the FPGA.

As to your second point, you should be able to see the base.bit bitstream within the following directory:
/usr/local/share/pynq-venv/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pynq/overlays/base/base.bit

If you do not see this then it is possible your SD card image is faulty.

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your reply.

I’m trying to run it through Jupyter envirnment.

However, I checked the location you stated in the Linux directory structure and all I found was

__init__.py and __pycache__

I’m using the zcu111 board.

Hi Thushara,

I’d recommend reinstalling the image on the SD card. Those files should definitely be there.

Josh

Hi Josh, Thanks but, further research on this lead me to find that zcu11 is a special case :-(. Base Overlay ZCU111 · Issue #9 · Xilinx/RFSoC-PYNQ · GitHub