Advice for beginning with Pynq

Hi,

Total beginner here, so sorry for the trivial questions
I’m looking at Pynq as an easiest Zynq counterpart since for now I would like to bypass the tedious step of image building with vivado/petalinux stack since I’ve no competence

I’m fine working right on Python but is not clear to me if the prebuilt images are full running linux (debian?)
Since I need to run some node.js microservices can I access to a bash with full command and install stuff with apt-get or other package manager?

Hey there, fellow horror fan & coder here.

I believe what you’re asking is whether you can access a fully-functional bash session on your board. If so, then the answer is absolutely. The prebuilt images are pre-loaded with a headless, minimal version of Ubuntu (thus it uses the apt package manager).

If the microSD card is inserted and the board jumper closest to the USB HOST port is set to “SD”, then simply connect the board to your computer (via the microUSB “PROG UART” port), power on the board, & access the embedded shell via either Putty or a terminal emulator like Screen or Minicom. The board should become visible to your computer as a /dev/ttyUSB* descriptor if on Linux, a /dev/tty.usbserial-* device if on Mac, or a COM port if on Windows.

The easiest way to make a serial connection to the embedded bash shell IMO is using the command screen /dev/ttyUSB1 115200,cs8. Obviously, if your board has a network connection, then SSH is the preferred method. Default username & password to access the board are both ‘xilinx’.

Once connected to the Internet, you can use apt to install & run node.js. Hope this helps to answer your question.

Hi VicerExciser,
That’s great! This is what I wanted to know, working remotely on the PYNQ via ssh and wifi is for sure the easiest way :slight_smile: