Are Ethernet Cable and SD card necessary for PYNQ Z2?

Hi, I’m a new hand at FPGA and I’m trying to use PYNQ to generate inputs for a multiplier chip that I taped out. So basically I need to generate several CLK signals. My multiplier is 4bit x 4bit so I need 8 digital inputs and 1 CLK input.

I have a PYNQ Z2 board, but it’s quite different from what I once used in undergrad. I see in the tutorial that “images” have to be loaded through SD cards and connected to PC through Ethernet Cable. I am a bit confused. Are they necessary for my condition? In my imagination I need to write verilog codes and then program my board through a USB cable contained in the board but I don’t quite understand the use of Ethernet Cables and SD cards. Sorry if I’m asking silly questions.

You can use the PYNQ-Z2 with or without PYNQ. PYNQ provides a Jupyter server interface and Python APIs to control the FPGA part of the Zynq device. To use PYNQ you need to boot the board from a PYNQ image on the SD card. You also need a network connection to the board from your computer.

If you don’t want to use PYNQ you don’t need to use the SD card or Ethernet cable. You only need the USB cable to program the board.

Cathal

Thank you very much! So if I use my PYNQ-Z2 board without the PYNQ functions, then it can be used just like other ZYNQ boards? Fully programmed with Verilog and Vivado, right?