Audio Base Overlay Not Reading Microphone Input

I am working on a PYNQ-Z2 v2.4 using the Audio base overlay in Jupyter Notebooks. I am trying to use the basic record function to generate a .wav file using the provided python example (in the /base/audio folder). All other functions are working fine, but I cannot get the board to read audio through the microphone I plugged in (simple earbud microphone). I have tried both the LINE IN and HP MIC ports, but I keep ending up with an empty .wav file. Are there certain microphones which are/are not compatible with the board?

Any help would be appreciated!

1 Like

Sorry that I can’t be any help here, but I wanted to note that I am also having this problem, and have tried the same steps as Peter.

Hi, I think we tested it before we released this so it would probably work. For me, I did the following 2 setups:

1. Used an Apple earphone (with integrated microphone), connected that earphone directly to the HP MIC port.
  2. Used a normal earphone without any microphone, connected the LINE_IN to my iphone playing a piece of music.

The above 2 cases work for me. Can you be more specific about your setup?

This is just a standard Samsung earphone (with integrated microphone), connected to the HP MIC port. It randomly started working, despite not making any changes. Now, when I use the record function, it will save the audio going in through the microphone.

The same setup still does not save any audio when the microphone is connected to the LINE IN port, though I believe it should work the same way?

I honestly have no clue what made it start working with the HP MIC port, but it solves my problem for now.

For the LINE_IN, I don’t think you can connect your microphone on earphone to it; I used an audio line to connect to an audio source. If the microphone is standalone microphone, I think it can work; but I have not tested that.

For this issue you have, it might be just the connection is not tight or something like that.