Failed to build PYNQ for Zybo Z7

Hi. Im trying to build the pynq for a Zybo Z7-10

I have downloaded the pynq 2.5 files and installed all on a virtual box machine with ubuntu 18 (Vagrant had some issues so i installed a new VM).
I downloaded Vivado 2019.2, Vitis and Petalinux for this versions and im using this board files https://github.com/ussamazahid96/ZYBO-PYNQ for the build.

setup_host/check_env.sh pass correctly but if i do “make board=Zybo” i have 2 issues.
First it fails here:

which arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc
Makefile:356: recipe for target 'checkenv' failed

But if i install “gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf” and i run the makefile again it fails

which microblaze-xilinx-elf-gcc

Here is the full log

user@user-VirtualBox:~/PYNQ/sdbuild$ make board=Zybo
/opt/qemu/bin/qemu-aarch64-static -version | fgrep 4.0.0
qemu-aarch64 version 4.0.0
/opt/qemu/bin/qemu-arm-static -version | fgrep 4.0.0
qemu-arm version 4.0.0
vivado -version | fgrep 2019.2
Vivado v2019.2 (64-bit)
vitis -version | fgrep 2019.2
****** Vitis v2019.2 (64-bit)
which petalinux-config
/tools/tools/common/petalinux/bin/petalinux-config
which arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc
/usr/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc
which microblaze-xilinx-elf-gcc
make: *** [checkenv] Error 1
/tools/tools/common/petalinux/bin/petalinux-build
/home/user/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.2/bin/vivado
/home/user/Xilinx/Vitis/2019.2/bin/vitis

ls ~/Xilinx/
DocNav  Downloads  Vitis  Vivado  xic

Any ideas? Anyone with a zybo z7 pynq image to share? hehe

Also, lets say i can build an older version like 2.3, is there a way to update the funcionality to 2.5 without building the image again?
Mostly i only need the pynq to interact with DMA and SPI. My other alternative is to try to implement with vitis sdk.
Thanks

EDIT: I already did “source settings.sh” on petalinux

1 Like

Looks like for some reason Petalinux 2019.2 doesn’t add it’s compilers to the PATH when sourcing the settings script. You can add it manually - they’re at {}/tools/xsct/gnu/microblaze/lin/bin/. Note that we don’t support 2019.2 so can’t help you with any other Petalinux issues that arise. Also I’d strongly recommend the board agnostic flow and avoiding the issue entirely.

Peter

I was able to add the tool to the PATH and the build continued using instead Vivado 2019.1 and petalinux 2019.1 to avoid more issues as you said.
Now im facing the same issue that i posted here using both the normal make and with the prebuilt option.

Sill searching a solution. Thanks for the reply!

Hi, I am new in the PYNQ community. I am also wondering how to run PYNQ on ZYBO Z7.

Do we need to install Petalinux to run PYNQ on ZYBO Z7 ? Which software do I need other then Vivado and Vitis which I already have in the computer.

The process to generate a SD card image is described here PYNQ SD Card — Python productivity for Zynq (Pynq)

The SD card image has everything you need to run PYNQ

1 Like