How to install SDx and PetaLinux in vagrant and virtualbox?

Hello everyone,

I am new in this forum. My host OS is window10 - 64 bit.
I am trying to Prepare the Building Environment to build pynq image for Minized board
using PYNQ SD Card thread.

1. I have installed vagrant (v2.4) and virtual box and up vagrant successfully.
  2. I have downloaded correct version of the Xilinx tools, including PetaLinux, Vivado, and SDx (2018.3)

According to point 5. I have to install these tools. But I am not sure how to do this.
I have tried sudo ./xsetup from vagrant Xilinx_SDx_2018.3_1207_2324 folder from cmd which generate

vagrant@ubuntu-xenial:/vagrant/Xilinx_SDx_2018.3_1207_2324$ sudo ./xsetup
ERROR: Installer could not be started.
No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.
java.awt.HeadlessException:
No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.
at java.desktop/java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Frame.(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Frame.(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JFrame.(Unknown Source)
at i.b.(Unknown Source)
at com.xilinx.installer.gui.F.(Unknown Source)
at com.xilinx.installer.gui.InstallerGUI.(Unknown Source)
at com.xilinx.installer.gui.InstallerGUI.(Unknown Source)
at com.xilinx.installer.api.InstallerLauncher.main(Unknown Source)
vagrant@ubuntu-xenial:/vagrant/Xilinx_SDx_2018.3_1207_2324$

I am also not sure about “PYNQ repository” stated in the thread.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Ruhul Amin

PYNQ repository is this:

The SDx installer, as you run it, is looking for the graphic shell… I had the same problem, and not enough disk space, so decided to build a VM autonomously (i.e. no vagrant) on a server and added graphic UI to it.
But it should be possible to install without UI, just feed the correct config file…
Look this:

Another thing to add, is that you can skip the SDx installation. As long as you do not rebuild the libcma package, and you do have vivado and petalinux installed properly, you should be able to build the image.

If you use our vagrant file, it should install ubuntu desktop for you so you should be able to get GUI there.

Ruhul,

I found it easier to just use virtual box and create a VM using the Ubuntu 16.04 image I downloaded. You need to install a ‘guest additions cd’ but this can be done from the devices toolbar menu.

To add to rock’s post - if you do not install SDx you might want to edit the makefile in /sdbuild and comment out the line that says “which sdx | fgrep ${KERNEL_VERSION}” I think this can cause make to fail when not having SDx installed.

Thank you all a lot for reply.

I think pynq repository is the best for simplicity. Now I am using PYNQ repository.

After cloning and cmd to pynq repository, I saw a vagrantfile. Then I use vagrant up command.
After a long update it finished and I used vagrant reload command.
But the issue is that the ubuntu desktop GUI did not start automatically.

vagrant up states this at the ending of update.

I also try from virtualbox to start pynq_vm. It also did not start ubuntu Desktop GUI.

How can I get the Desktop GUI from vagrant or virtualbox?

And all the member of this forum are great and very helpful. Thanks to you all.

Ruhul Amin

Are you using image_v2.4 branch? In that case you will need this patch: