Problem with PCAM 5C with KV260 Pynq base overlay

Hi,
I have kv260 vision ai board with me. I use ubuntu 22.04 with updated boot file. I installed Pynq 3.0 the latest version. it works perfectly, until I got problem with mipi video.
i use pcam 5c, and connect it properly in the board.

when I ran this notebook, Kria-PYNQ/mipi_to_displayport.ipynb at main · Xilinx/Kria-PYNQ · GitHub
I got stuck in the line
frame = mipi.readframe()
PIL.Image.fromarray(frame[:,:,[2,1,0]])

normally when I try with pynq-zu board with exactly same camera module, I will get frame of image. but here with kria I got stuck. does anyone know what is the problem? have anyone got similar problem?

and also, I try to make overlay based on base design and add some thing. somehow, it works sometime, and sometime it stuck, and sometime it says that PCam 5C cannot be initialized.

Please anyone help me about this.
Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @ihsanalhafiz28,

In my experience these cameras are quite fragile. So, it is likely that the data lanes are not working properly.
This could be the ribbon cable or the module itself.

Mario

@marioruiz
@ihsanalhafiz28

I think this issue not only related to mipi cis-2 d-phy itself.
Sometime it could be the sccb itself is not set in device tree or the initialization is not properly set.

Double check both IIC pull-up and the flat flex cable.

Enjoy~

1 Like

The weird thing is when I just try to load the overlay and try again, sometimes it works but sometimes it does not work. i got zocl-drm axi:zyxclmm_drm: IRQ index 0 not found, on my serial, do you think it is related to the interrupt error?

The weird thing is when I just try to load the overlay and try again, sometimes it works but sometimes it does not work. i got zocl-drm axi:zyxclmm_drm: IRQ index 0 not found, on my serial, do you think it is related to the interrupt error?

my issue is similar with this Pcam not generating frames · Issue #27 · Xilinx/Kria-PYNQ · GitHub

@ihsanalhafiz28

If you really need to know hardware layer it will really off of this forum.
However, when IIC speed is set over 200khz then pull-up will start matter a lot.
And the mipi HS transmission is only driver in 200mV range so noisy environment is still matter even it is differential bus.

I have encounter many case user myself included plug unplug the FPC cable too many times and the cable no longer contact well.
Unless u are very sure the camera fixture is welly secured, moving the camera around is really no good.

The big big trap for young players.

If things are working in software or firmware layers ← sanity must be stable otherwise unless it had timing violation (a lot and caused thermal hold violation after heat is induced after a while).
However, this cannot be explained while long run is stable in some cases.

So concluded, HW must be the big issue here~

Enjoy~

1 Like

@ihsanalhafiz28

Forgot to mention, if the MIPI camera is not properly reset, wired thing could happen.
That’s why i.e. OV series have a both PWD and RST timing diagram.
Meanwhile, try enable pull-up in EMIO or MIO via ZYNQ block config.
Low down the IIC clock speed to 10-40khz.

ENJOY~

1 Like