PYNQ 2.7 - Makefile:344: recipe for target Fails Error 23

I am trying to build PYNQ 2.7 for the zedboard. I am using Ubuntu 18.04.6 and Xilinx tools 2020.2.

I am able to run “make” in the sdbuild folder and have a successful build, but when I try to build for the zedboard I get this error.

var/log/ubuntu-advantage.log
var/log/unattended-upgrades/
var/log/dpkg.log
var/crash/
var/mail/
+ cd /home/nab/Documents/PYNQ/sdbuild/build/PYNQ
+ rsync -rptL --ignore-existing '/home/nab/Documents/PYNQ/sdbuild/build/PYNQ/sdist_untar/*/pynq/lib/*' pynq/lib/
rsync: change_dir "/home/nab/Documents/PYNQ/sdbuild/build/PYNQ/sdist_untar/*/pynq/lib" failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1196) [sender=3.1.2]
+ unmount_special
+ for fs in $fss
+ sudo umount -l /home/nab/Documents/PYNQ/sdbuild/build/focal.arm/proc
+ for fs in $fss
+ sudo umount -l /home/nab/Documents/PYNQ/sdbuild/build/focal.arm/run
+ for fs in $fss
+ sudo umount -l /home/nab/Documents/PYNQ/sdbuild/build/focal.arm/dev
+ sudo umount -l /home/nab/Documents/PYNQ/sdbuild/build/focal.arm/ccache
+ rmdir /home/nab/Documents/PYNQ/sdbuild/build/focal.arm/ccache
Makefile:344: recipe for target '/home/nab/Documents/PYNQ/sdbuild/output/focal.arm.2.7.0.tar.gz' failed
make: *** [/home/nab/Documents/PYNQ/sdbuild/output/focal.arm.2.7.0.tar.gz] Error 23

My zedboard.spec looks like the following

ARCH_ZED := arm
BSP_ZED := zedboard.bsp

STAGE4_PACKAGES_ZED := ethernet

The command I am running is

make PYNQ_SDIST=focal.arm.2.7.0_2011_11_17.tar.gz BOARDS=ZED

I had other issues that I resolved by upgrading ct-ng from 1.24 to 1.25 and that allows me to get this far into the build process, but I am having trouble figuring out what is causing this error. I read somewhere that unmounting to quickly could be the issue and to increase the sleep time in the makefile to 5, but mine is already at 5. Also I am using Ubuntu18.04.6 because a lot of packages were broken when I installed 18.04.4 and it seemed like the only way to fix it was an apt update.

1 Like

Hi,

Please find the following build guide and issue report:

This setup confirmed by many developers that had good result.
Remember any share folder or right restricted folder will result in so many unexpected build issues.
This setup targeted PYNQ2.7 Vivado2020.2 not .2.#

Meantime, the make command should be make BOARDS=xxxx PREBUILT=focal.arm.xxxxx

1 Like

doing
sudo chmod -R 777 ./PYNQ/*
and chaning my command to use PREBUILT solved my issue. Thanks!

Great~
Your are welcome =]