Pynq python integration with labview

Hi,

I am using pynq OS to control and do various functions on the pynq-z2 board. I am using a pynq custom package called pynq networking overlay that gives the data to various jupyter notebook installed in the OS.

I wanted to know if this data can be sent over to the PC and to the LabVIEW software for display and further processing it.

There are several ways to integrate with LabVIEW.
On Linux, I used a SCPI client library, and made a TCP/IP service for it.
LabVIEW can connect to that, and from that point on, you can use the typical LabVIEW SCPI mechanisms.
https://www.element14.com/community/groups/test-and-measurement/blog/2018/04/27/scpi-on-a-linux-board-letter-of-intent

Should work on the Pynq distro because it only uses Linux standard libraries, and an open source SCPI library.

The project is broken up into a number of small steps. I made it while I wrote it.

1 Like

Thanks for the SCPI option. I will explore it a bit. Does it work on a Windows system as well. (I have installed LabVIEW on windows)

Also, just for curiosity, what are the other ways of integrating python pynq package with LabVIEW.

The device side, where the scpi lib runs (in your case, the Pynq board), I have only tested on Linux.

My LABView install is also on Windows, and this works. My article has an example driver and project attached.

1 Like

Hi,

Sorry for bumping this up.
I went through your article and found it useful in bringing up the eth interface on LabVIEW.

I had a couple of questions:

1. Can I bring-up UDP eth service by using SCPI client library?
  2. Does the library work on the latest PYNQ distro v2.7 (It is Linux based)?
  3. Can I bring up TCP or UDP using the LabVIEW VISA drivers (with or without your library)?

Thanks!

1. Can I bring-up UDP eth service by using SCPI client library?
    No the library does not know (does not care) what the communication protocol is. It takes in SCPI commands as C strings.
    In my SCPI service, I developed the socket server, and send data received to the library, and the answers go back to the socket.
    For a microcontroller, I used USB COM. in that case, it’s the serial peripheral data that’s sent to the library, and the reply sent back to the serial peripheral.

The SCPI library only knows one thing: the SCPI protocol & syntax rules.

1. Does the library work on the latest PYNQ distro v2.7 (It is Linux based)?
    It’s a C library. Works on Linux, on RTOS, on bare metal.

2. Can I bring up TCP or UDP using the LabVIEW VISA drivers (with or without your library)?
    See 1.

1 Like

Thanks for the tailored answers to my queries.

Good to know that SCPI lib is protocol independent.

How to control the data once it is received into the socket server?

I attached example code to the blog series I referred to in my first answer.

1 Like