Pynq with IPython or Spyder

Dear all,

I am new with Pynq.
I have a fundamental question:
Is it possible to write a program in IPython or Spyder and load it into the Pynq?
I do not want to use Jupyter notebook. Is there any other way?

Thank you in advance

Yes, you can use command line if you don’t want to use Jupyter notebook.
You can map the board as a network drive, and develop code somewhere else, or with an external IDE and transfer/run on the board.
Depending on your board, you may be able to connect keyboard/monitor and use other dev tools directly from a desktop environment running on the board. (e.g. PYNQ with Zynq Ultrascale+ on an Ultra96),

Cathal

1 Like

hi Cathal,

does PYNQ ship with a desktop environment already and if so, which one?

Hi Cathal,

Thank you very much for your Info.
One of main questions is how I can transfer my code from an IDE onto the board.
I am planning to use the board Pynq-Z1. It is not still clear to me how I can program it with an IDE.
Could you please give me more info?
It would be great if you could also recommend me some documents, link, book, … if you would know some.

Regards

You can map the board like a network drive to your PC. In this way you could open files from the board in your IDE. However, you won’t be able to execute any FPGA specific code on the IDE on another computer.
Why are you trying to avoid Jupyter so much?

Cathal

1 Like

A correction to the above; thanks to @PeterOgden for pointing this out. PyCharm Professional version has Remote development capabilities, so you can connect it to your board, and remote execute Python from PyCharm on the board.

Cathal

1 Like

Hi Cathal,

I am thinking to develop a script (with my own Module, function ,…) on an IDE to be able to reuse it faster and easier for my work.
I am not still sure if it is a good way, since I am not that familiar with Jupyter.

Thank you for your support.

If you are new to PYNQ, I would suggest you just try Jupyter first.
You suggested at the start using the terminal. Executing Python code from Jupyter is a lot easier than this. If you want to progress to an external IDE, in my opinion, it would be easier to do this after you have a better understanding of PYNQ.

Cathal

1 Like

Thank you!
Yes I start first working with Jupyter, then an IDE

Regards