Send host files to Pynq

Hi folks,

I’ve successfully built a custom ZCU104 overlay based on the base one and connected to it from the host. All seems to be working fine. I have a question. My application needs to stream data from the host to Pynq and have it processed in the PL. I’m aware that I can use local files (from PS point of view) from Pynq, and also I can use SSH to upload the files, but I wonder if there is a way to send files from the host using Jupyter such that Pynq can access them? Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-Pat

I wonder if there is a way to send files from the host using Jupyter such that Pynq can access them

Jupyter is a server running on the board. You could write some code on the board to retrieve files or data from elsewhere (e.g. from the network), but Jupyter can’t “send” files from a host.

I’m not sure if this is the question you are asking?

Cathal

1 Like

Hi @cathalmccabe

That’s a pretty good idea, to have the board “pull” data from elsewhere on the network, instead of looking for ways to inject data from the browser. Perhaps the simplest would be to set up an tftp server and pull files from it from Pynq.

Thanks!
-Pat

1 Like

Agreed. while using jupyter, you pretty much have access to the whole python ecosystem so a bit of python that pulls the data you need from the network is what you want.
Also, just fyi (I know it may be a silly point to make, but it’s worth mentioning it anyway), python and jupyter are intertwined, but python does not depend on jupyter. What I mean is that you don’t need jupyter to run your stuff using PYNQ. Jupyter is just a handy environment for your prototype/development stage. A simple python script that uses PYNQ API and that is launched with python3 yourscript.py is enough (and maybe you would want that in case your application need to run standalone).

3 Likes