Trying to access the PYNQ-Z2 board wirelessly from my laptop to use jupyter (ref: test2 query)

Hi,

Posted this on one of my tickets but received no reply to that one yet and decided to repost :

—-

I bought the TB Ralink Wifi USB Dongle.

Test1:
I have now also the PYNQ-Z2 board & initially connected the ethernet cable from my router to the board + powered the board from the USB of the laptop to the micro usb of the board. The board was booted up successfully (seen the correct LEDs ON/OFF sequences. I also managed to connect to Jupiter successfully (board connected to network http://pynq:9090).

So next step (test2) I want is to take my board to another room away from the router ie connect the USB dongle to the USB Host of the PYNQ-Z2 board to get wireless connection to the router? Is this the case? Please confirm.

Will this just work instantly and be able to achieve same results as I had on test1 ?

So basically I am trying to access the PYNQ-Z2 board wirelessly from my laptop to use jupyter (ref: test2 query)…

Your prompt reply to this matter will be appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin

It states in the PYNQ-Z2 spec that the Host USB interface is configured to act as an embedded host. USB OTG and USB device modes are not supported.

Do does this mean I cannot connect the USB dongle here to try to get wireless Internet access ?

Awaiting for a reply to this matter please.

That should be possible. I think what you can do, is to leverage the wifi.ipynb.

What you can do, is to first use your ethernet connection (bring your board to your router via ethernet) to run the wifi notebook; after that wifi should be connected. Then you can unplug the ethernet and rely only on the wifi.

You can also use the code in wifi.ipynb to directly connect to wifi network, given that you have terminal connection from your board to your laptop.

Hi Rock,

Tried what you suggested with the Ethernet connected to the router (had also the USB Wifi dongle connected to the USB host of the PYNQ-Z2 board). After the board was booted up successfully and manage to get access to Jupyter

Run the following ;

from pynq.lib import wifi
port = wifi()

But got a typeError wrt the 2nd line ie
port = wifi()

TypeError : ‘module’ object is not callable

Please advise to what went wrong here.

Your prompt reply to this matter will be appreciated.

Regards,
Kevin

Which version of image is this? Are you running python3?