USB Video Camera access through pynq z2 PL side

I have used a USB camera through the PYNQ z2 PS side. But using python script in jupytor, speed gets slowed down. I want to access it on the PL side. My Idea is

1. Is there any direct way to use a USB camera on the PL side.
  2. How can I make an overlay and create an IP. Then using that IP on PS for getting speed improvement. How can I use that IP for Video processing?
    Are these ideas fine? If yes kindly, provide some resources on this.
1 Like

On the PYNQ-Z2, the USB port on the board is connected to a USB controller on the PS side of the Zynq chip.
The HDMI interfaces are connected to the PL. Can you use HDMI as a source?

Cathal

1 Like

NO. I am using a USB-type camera. So I wanted to make a pipeline in PL so that I can take a USB camera as input and do some image processing on it and send it to a VGA monitor for display or send it to another port for further processing. So is there any idea how to achieve this?
Thanks

Hi,

Did you look at the composable video overlay? The Composable Video Pipeline — PYNQ Composable Overlays 1.0.2 documentation

Mario

I feel composable Video overlay is more about a different type of image processing on-camera image. My target is to detect different types of cameras (like USB camera, HDMI type camera, or any CMOS sensor camera) through FPGA. Is there any way in pynq-z2 to interface these cameras?
Thanks

Hi,

The HDMI is connected to the PL, you can also try to interfaces cameras that can be connected via PMODs.

Mario