What software do I need section

Hi everyone, in the “What software do I need” section in the following link http://www.pynq.io/, do I need to install all of these or can I just use the Jupytr notebook?

Hello,

This section is pretty self-explanatory if you know the Xilinx Ecosystem. If you do not, it is indeed confusing
Let me explain each paragraph so you have the full context.

Jupyter notebook runs in a web browser. Only a compatible web browser is needed to start programming PYNQ with Python.

This answers your question in most cases. Most people would use Pynq on Pynq supported boards, if you have one, you only need to flash an image on an SDcard (with Balena Etcher, for instance), and go on the specified URL with your browser.

For more information, you can check the documentation page relative to this.

For higher performance, you can also use C/C++ with Python and PYNQ. The Xilinx SDK software development environment is available for free. You can also use third party software development tools.
New hardware libraries and overlays can be created using standard Xilinx and third party hardware design tools.

This is a reference to Xilinx SDK which is traditional IDE to program Xilinx platforms on bare-metal or on Linux. The software was merged with other software, and is now named Vitis. The Pynq developers should probably update this paragraph.

The free WebPACK version of Xilinx Vivado can be used with a wide range of Zynq boards
Vitis and Vitis open-source Accelerated Libraries are free, and can be used for Alveo/AWS-F1.

This is a reference to other Xilinx tools to program Xilinx hardware, regardless of whether you use Pynq or not:

• Vivado is Xilinx’s software for programming Xilinx FPGA and creating hardware platforms. It can also be used to make FPGA designs that run alongside Pynq.

• Vitis is the unified SDK for programming on Linux and Bare-metal, with or without OpenCL.

• Vitis Accelerated libraries is a set of OpenCL kernels and accelerated Python libraries.

These tools are mostly free.

Mikaël,
Random Xilinx user

3 Likes