Firmware generated with Simulink

@rock, thank you, I think the connections are correct.

Short Version: running pynq 2.7 improves the situation, but I need help getting an IP block instatiated as pynq.lib.dma.DMA

After consulting with a colleague, we decided to try this with pynq2.7 and this met with some success.

After loading the overlay, these two calls set clocks:

xrfclk.set_all_ref_clks(204.8) #first set all clocks to 204.8
xrfclk.xrfclk._set_LMX_clks(102.4, xrfclk.lmx_devices[2]) #this LMX drives the DAC clocks

The AXI4-Lite interfaces work, and the firmware responds by generating the output signal as expected. So far so good!

However, there are problems read via DMA.

When I look at a similar interface for firmware built by directly in Vivado, it looks like this:

overlay = Overlay('./pfb_8x1024_ad_da.bit')
type(overlay.axi_dma_1)
pynq.lib.dma.DMA

so I’d like this new firmare to expose the same class, pynq.lib.dma.DMA.

Trying this with the firmware as built by Simulink shows trouble with a missing UIO device and the type is DefaultIP, not DMA.

> overlay.axi_dmac_s2mm
/usr/local/share/pynq-venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pynq/overlay.py:681: UserWarning: Interrupt irq not created: Could not find UIO device for interrupt pin for IRQ number 122
  warnings.warn('Interrupt {} not created: {}'.format(

<pynq.overlay.DefaultIP at 0xffff9afebca0>

So, this is showing up only as DefaultIP.

Following advice from here: Interrupt error on using two VDMA - #3 by mizan I modified the block diagram in Vivado to add an AXI Interrupt Controller as suggested.

Here is the original block diagram as produced by Simulink:

Here is the modified block diagram:

That build, and I copied the .bit and .hwh files to the ZCU111 and followed the same step. Now this line:

dma = overlay.axi_dmac_s2mm

does NOT cause the warning about “Could not find UIO device…” but it is still of the type pynq.overlay.DefaultIP

The ip_dict information for the IP looks like this:

x = overlay.ip_dict['axi_dmac_s2mm']
for k,v in x.items():
    print("%10s: %s"%(k,v))

fullpath: axi_dmac_s2mm
      type: analog.com:user:axi_dmac:1.0
    bdtype: None
     state: None
addr_range: 4096
 phys_addr: 2684551168
    mem_id: s_axi
   memtype: REGISTER
      gpio: {}
interrupts: {'irq': {'controller': 'axi_intc_0', 'index': 1, 'fullpath': 'axi_dmac_s2mm/irq'}}
parameters: {'ID': '0', 'DMA_DATA_WIDTH_SRC': '128', 'DMA_DATA_WIDTH_DEST': '128', 'DMA_LENGTH_WIDTH': '24', 'DMA_2D_TRANSFER': 'false', 'DMA_2D_TLAST_MODE': '0', 'ASYNC_CLK_REQ_SRC': 'true', 'ASYNC_CLK_SRC_DEST': 'true', 'ASYNC_CLK_DEST_REQ': 'false', 'AXI_SLICE_DEST': 'false', 'AXI_SLICE_SRC': 'false', 'SYNC_TRANSFER_START': 'false', 'CYCLIC': 'false', 'DMA_AXI_PROTOCOL_DEST': '0', 'DMA_AXI_PROTOCOL_SRC': '0', 'DMA_TYPE_DEST': '0', 'DMA_TYPE_SRC': '1', 'DMA_AXI_ADDR_WIDTH': '32', 'MAX_BYTES_PER_BURST': '512', 'FIFO_SIZE': '32', 'AXI_ID_WIDTH_SRC': '1', 'AXI_ID_WIDTH_DEST': '1', 'DISABLE_DEBUG_REGISTERS': 'false', 'ENABLE_DIAGNOSTICS_IF': 'false', 'ALLOW_ASYM_MEM': '1', 'ENABLE_FRAME_LOCK': 'false', 'MAX_NUM_FRAMES': '8', 'USE_EXT_SYNC': 'false', 'HAS_AUTORUN': 'false', 'DMAC_DEF_FLAGS': '0x00000000', 'DMAC_DEF_SRC_ADDR': '0x00000000', 'DMAC_DEF_DEST_ADDR': '0x00000000', 'DMAC_DEF_X_LENGTH': '0x00000000', 'DMAC_DEF_Y_LENGTH': '0x00000000', 'DMAC_DEF_SRC_STRIDE': '0x00000000', 'DMAC_DEF_DEST_STRIDE': '0x00000000', 'DMAC_DEF_FLOCK_CFG': '0x00000000', 'DMAC_DEF_FLOCK_STRIDE': '0x00000000', 'Component_Name': 'system_axi_dmac_s2mm_0', 'EDK_IPTYPE': 'PERIPHERAL', 'C_BASEADDR': '0xA0030000', 'C_HIGHADDR': '0xA0030FFF'}
 registers: {}
    device: <pynq.pl_server.embedded_device.EmbeddedDevice object at 0xffff850849d0>
    driver: <class 'pynq.overlay.DefaultIP'>
1 Like