Help to bring up PYNQ System with HDMI on ZC706

I am building python environment using prebuilt image(v2.3) and pynq (v2.3).And the built images worked in UART but HDMI Display didn’t come up.When tried ’ xinit ’ , It is showing ’ No screeens found Error(EE) ’ .

I am using base as from pynq- zc706 git repo.

I attached a log file…

Any one please help…

zc706_pynq.txt (1.3 KB)

Hi @saif, the ZC706 is a Zynq-7000 board. Currently, we provide a windowing system (only through DisplayPort, not HDMI) for boards that are ZynqUltrascale (like the ZCU104).
Also, I am wondering what “prebuilt” image you are using for that board since we don’t support and don’t ship images for that.

Can you explain exactly what steps you did to create the image for ZC706?
In general though, I think what you are trying to do is not going to be possible. At least not using PYNQ as is. I would suggest you look for projects that enable a linux windowing system for Zynq-7000 boards, and try to replicate these. You can then merge the required configs and FPGA design into our sdbuild flow and rebuild a PYNQ image that ships a linux gui for your board.
An example you might want to consider (though it’s a bit old): https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18842231/Zynq-7000+AP+SoC+-+Installing+the+Ubuntu+Desktop+on+PetaLinux+and+Demo+Tech+Tip

We don’t have any PYNQ resource to help you with that, sorry.

My doubt here is how we are doing for Pynq-Z1 boards And it is also working with HDMI ports.Could you please give me a intro on how I can relatively make zc706 build from that flow…

Hi @saif, As far as I understand, your question is that you are trying to create the same pynq image for zc706 which we have for Pynq-Z1 board right? And you want to use the HDMI on ZC706 the same way as we use it on Pynq-Z1 board right? More importantly, if you can share what underlying design you are using in the bsp and as base overlay.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

2 Likes

@ Ussama_Zahid,I am using the bsp from the git repository “GitHub - ussamazahid96/ZC706-PYNQ: Board files for creating PYNQ linux for ZC706”.

@saif the bsp you are trying to use, does not have an HDMI block in the base overlay unlike that of Pynq-Z1. In order to use the HDMI on the ZC706 board from pynq package, you need to create a base overlay with HDMI IP. You can take the Pynq-Z1’s base overlay as a reference check this and connect the video block with the HDMI on ZC706. One important thing to mention is that the HDMI of Pynq-Z1 and ZC706 are not the same. ZC706 uses adv7511 IC to derive the HDMI port whereas in Pynq-Z1 there is no driver IC so the video IP block connects directly to the HDMI port. So in case of ZC706 you may need to create your own IP block which connects video IP block to the adv7511 IC on the ZC706. Here is an example which can help you getting started with adv7511.

Good Luck!

1 Like

@Ussama_Zahid Did you get hdmi up on ZC706 in linux…
I am able to work on hdmi using SDK.But I dont have any flow to make up for linux.

You need to configure the ZC706 HDMI codec from Linux using I2C bus. Then edit the device tree to add the HDMI framebuffer, then edit PYNQ libraries to support output to HDMI sink. It’s not trivial so it does not have an easy solution.