How can I run the newtek ndi-sdk demo on pynq-z2

I am new to FPGA and NDI. We want to do further product development based on ZYNQ (PYNQ-Z2). Now I want to test the performance of the project from HDMI (V/A) to NDI on PYNQ-Z2. What should I do?
After reading the embedded SDK documentation, I found examples for zybo-z7-20 and zcu104. How to modify the examples from zybo-z7-20 to run on PYNQ-Z2?

I am new to FPGA and have designed and developed on vivado 2018.3. Thank you for your reply. If possible, please provide more basic help and step-by-step guidance. Thank you very much !

Best wishes!

Hi @pdfwizard,

First off, welcome to the community!

Let me see if I can help. If I understand you correctly, you have a design for zybo-z7-20 and zcu104 that you want to migrate to a PYNQ-Z2. Are these Vivado IPI design examples you have found or something else?

All the best,
Shane

@stf Thank you for your reply, I have an example, demo version for zybo-z7 provided by newtek, I want to migrate to pynq-z2, I know the FPGA chips of these two boards are the same, but I’m new to FPGAs and I would like to ask for your help.

Okay great.

Have you taken a look at the Overlay Design Methodology section of the docs? Overlay Design Methodology — Python productivity for Zynq (Pynq) that might shed some light on what you need to do.

You’ll have to make a new Vivado IPI design for the PL design to generate a new bitstream and hwh file. Basically, this will require creating a new project for the PYNQ-Z2 board, importing the NewTek IP into the IP catalogue; and connecting the design up. More info on constructing the PL portion of the design can be found here: Overlay Design — Python productivity for Zynq (Pynq). There are also plenty of good tutorials online discussing Vivado.

Next up, you’ll have to port across the software drivers for the IP (unless they already exist). You can use built-in classes such as pynq.mmio.MMIO to access the memory-mapped registers of the IP to help with this. You can also use existing components for data transfer, such as the DMA IP and PYNQ drivers. Without a bit more information on the design it’s tricky to guide you further, but I hope this helps get you started.

All the best,
Shane

1 Like