How good is PYNQ for learning FPGA without Phyton?

Hello PYNQ community,
I am a beginner without prior knowledge of either FPGA or Python. I understand the advantage of PYNQ as an excellent way for rapid prototyping without requiring much knowledge about FPGA - Python API abstraction makes the process resemble microcontroller programming.
However, I would like to learn FPGA with the help of the well-established toolchain used in industry (Verilog, Vivado, Xilinx’s WebPACK…etc).
So learning Python, Jupyter, notebook…etc is not a priority at the moment.
Will a PYNQ board (e.g. Z2) be a good starting point given the constraints above? and if it is, are there any tutorials or material to get me started besides the official PYNQ toolchain and workflow?
Thank you in advance for your help.

1 Like

This reply is more like an opinion based :slight_smile:
The board you have mentioned is more than sufficient to get you started. There are a lot of resources on the web to learn about hardware development using VHDL or Verilog (Just google it). I personally like some forums that provide tutorials and training on FPGA development like Hackster.io, adiuvoengineering.com. It is obvious that you can learn more when you get stuck. So different forums related to specific platforms and problems, give you more insight into the development. Eg. Xilinx forum has some very good tutorials for HLS, Vivado, Video Processing.
I personally suggest going through basic VHDL, Verilog learning tutorial (search youtube/google), and simulation tools (Vivado, ModelSim) before going into FPGA. Obviously, it gives you an advantage later if you have an FPGA on your hand, just not important for an initial start.

Regards,
Mizan

2 Likes

Yes I agree with mizan. There is no right answer to your question and it is opinion based.
I use pynq mainly for the FPGA functionality of the Zynq SoC, but there are a lot of avenues to explore on the embedded front as well.

Foss, just out of curiosity, do you want to learn well-established toolchain of other vendors like microchip, intel and lattice? If yes, then you have to explore more than the xilinx resources available and the pynq community.

1 Like

it is opinion based

my opinion :slight_smile: : Pynq has sped up my learning curve. I’ve been learning VHDL for a decent time now.
I believe I have the prerequisite skills: I know electronics and digital techniques. Still I found it a difficult path.

Pynq has pushed that curve to higher speed. Because it makes it easier to interact with the FPGA design, test it under different circumstances.
You can do the same with a pure FPGA and HDL testbeds/simulation, but it’s a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation until you know HDL a little.

What I appreciate about Pynq is that, as soon you make a PL design, you can real-time play with it from a notebook and see how it behaves. That’s how I like to learn technologies.

2 Likes