KV260 read mipi frame stuck on dma, help

Hi @cking,

Good to know that the camera is working now.

1. If you check this notebook Kria-PYNQ/kv260/base/notebooks/video/mipi_to_displayport.ipynb at main · Xilinx/Kria-PYNQ · GitHub you’ll see that we do a manipulation of the frame before printing to display.

2. You can do this rearrangement in hw using a AXI4 Stream Subset converter to swap the color channels.

I notice the frames extracted from the vdma are of the format, pynq.buffer.PynqBuffer described as a “subclass of array” does that mean it can be treated the same as a numpy array?

Yes, this is a numpy array that you can manipulate.

2 Likes

Hi Mario,

Worked great, that was an easy fix. Thanks for the help along the way.

I’m still unsure what prevents the MIPI camera from being able to be used with the base overlay. If I need to use the camera within this PYNQ base design in the future I will look back into it and update the thread.

Cheers,
Cameron

3 Likes

Hi cking,
really good job.
I am facing similar issues in designing a custom overlay for 5C MIPI cam.
I wonder if you could share your “base overlay” that is working with the “cameron king notebook” above.
Thanks
Sergio

1 Like

Hi Sergicuen,

Apologies for being inactive over the last while.

Certainly, the following configuration is what I take as the working case:

Top level notebook:
1080p working.ipynb (14.1 KB)

That reaches out to run the following nb (hence keep in local directory alongside top level:
pcam_cfg.ipynb (26.2 KB)

And the working bitstream and hwh that make up my hardware design (modified Adam Taylor design).

taylor_v3.bit (7.4 MB)
taylor_v3.hwh (1.4 MB)

Hope this is still useful to you!
Regards,
Cameron

2 Likes

Hi @cking ,
thanks a lot.
In the mean time, I was working with the KV260 base overlay. I wrote a workaround to configure the V_Proc_sys and the PixelPacker IPs to get GRAY frames.
Here you can find the python code if you are interested.
Regards

2 Likes

Hi @sergicuen,

Sounds interesting, would love to have a look at the code!

1 Like

Hi @sergicuen,

I was curious if you could also provide your implementation as I, too, am working with the KV260 board.

Thanks

Hi @juanppalacios ,
I used the original base overlay GitHub - mariodruiz/Kria-PYNQ , and some python code to reconfig the V_proc and Pixelpacker IP.
You can find the python code here:

In addition, in the following post you can find the workaround of a little bug in the overlay:

Regards

1 Like

Hi @juanppalacios ,
see my previous reply

2 Likes