Pynq-Z2 on Pynq release 3.0.1

I started porting some of my projects to Pynq 3.0.1 image with my TUL-2 and hit a few snags. I thought I’d offer what I found in case it’s helpful to someone else.

First of all thanks to all the people who support this project. I know managing open source projects results in few thanks when everything goes right and a lot of complaints if anything goes wrong (usually when a version gets updated). If I can be helpful testing new images please let me know.

1 During image build on Vivado 2022.1

I had trouble with the board repo not finding the TUL-2 board. I resolved this by adding this BEFORE the create_project statement:

set_param board.repoPaths /home/rpease/.Xilinx/Vivado/2022.1/xhub/board_store/xilinx_board_store

I will try to find the exact steps I used to get that path but I believe I got them from:

2 As root on pynq:

from pynq import Overlay
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘pynq’

This was patched with:

import sys
sys.path.append(‘/usr/local/share/pynq-venv/lib/python3.10/site-packages’)

3 As root on pynq:

os = Overlay(“AXIMasterStreamTutorial.bit”)
/usr/local/share/pynq-venv/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pynq/pl_server/device.py:56: UserWarning: No devices found, is the XRT environment sourced?
warnings.warn(
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
File “/usr/local/share/pynq-venv/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pynq/overlay.py”, line 315, in init
super().init(bitfile_name, dtbo, partial=False, device=device)
File “/usr/local/share/pynq-venv/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pynq/bitstream.py”, line 88, in init
device = Device.active_device
File “/usr/local/share/pynq-venv/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pynq/pl_server/device.py”, line 71, in active_device
raise RuntimeError(“No Devices Found”)
RuntimeError: No Devices Found

This was capably answered in Error no device found when loading overlay - #6 by haipnh. A workaround is adding these python statements:

import os
os.environ[“XILINX_XRT”] = “/usr”

With those my TUL-2 project worked. Obviously these are workarounds so if I can contribute to a more permanent solution please let me know.

3 Likes