Ultra96 pynq 3.0.1 image and base overlay

Good time of day all,

I think that related question may have been asked before but I haven’t seen a clear answer yet : is the available Pynq 3.0.1 image for Ultra96v2 board missing base overlay, or am I particularly inept at finding it ?
And if it’s missing, what makes is “base” and what’s the reasoning behind omitting it ? A fresh install from the publicly available image yields following error on some very basic notebooks

ModuleNotFoundError Traceback (most recent call last)
Input In [1], in <cell line: 1>()
----> 1 from pynq.overlays.base import BaseOverlay
3 ol = BaseOverlay(“base.bit”)
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘pynq.overlays.base’

A ton of thanks for any help !

Hi @unixux,

Welcome to the PYNQ community.

There is no base overlay for the Ultra96, as the board does not have much interactive I/O connected to the PL by default.

I think there is an overlay for the sensors Ultra96-PYNQ/Ultra96/notebooks/creating_Ultra96_overlays.ipynb at master · Avnet/Ultra96-PYNQ · GitHub

Mario

1 Like

Hi, Mario kindly pointed you to the notebook that also has a reference to this:

Above link takes you to the default overlay for Ultra96, it is called sensors96b.

That’s a very simple overlay but it does have the correct PS settings and some of the Ultra96 I/O. One thing that isn’t obvious is that this overlay is actually 2, 1 for the v1 and 1 for the v2 versions of Ultra96. A soft link can be used to choose which one is used. See the notebook for details.

Kind regards