AXI Stream write and read not synchronized

My code generates “random” output on IO1 and reads input on IO4.
To test my code, I short IO1 and IO4 and, I keep reading IO4, and whenever there is a signal in, I read what was on the output IO1. Ideally whenever IO4 has signal in, IO1 should also read signal out.
I tested it this way to see whether I was off by one and needed adjustements to code or if everything was working as intended.

This is my block design

And here is the code

typedef ap_axis<8,1,1,1> stream_type;
static ap_uint<32> lfsr = 51763;

ap_uint<4> ioctrl(bool run, hls::stream<stream_type> axis_in, hls::stream<stream_type> axis_out, ap_uint<14> &usr_gpio, volatile ap_uint<12> gpio_i, volatile ap_uint<2> gpio_o) {
#pragma HLS INTERFACE ap_ctrl_none port=return
#pragma HLS INTERFACE s_axilite port=run
#pragma HLS INTERFACE s_axilite port=usr_gpio
#pragma HLS INTERFACE axis port=axis_in
#pragma HLS INTERFACE axis port=axis_out
#pragma HLS INTERFACE ap_none port=gpio_o
#pragma HLS INTERFACE ap_none port=gpio_i

ap_uint<4> state = 0;

if (run) {
		usr_gpio = (ap_uint<14>) gpio_i + ((ap_uint<14>) gpio_o << 12); // This was used for reading before AXI implementation

bool b_32 = (lfsr & (1<<31)) >> 31;
		bool b_22 = lfsr & (1<<21) >> 21;
		bool b_2 = (lfsr & (1<<1)) >> 1;
		bool b_1 = (lfsr & (1<<0));

bool new_bit = b_32 ^ b_22 ^ b_2 ^ b_1;
		lfsr = lfsr >> 1;
		lfsr = lfsr | (new_bit << 31);

state = (ap_uint<4>) (lfsr.to_uint() & 1);

if (state == 1) {
			state = 5;  // 0101 = [IO 0, LED 0]
		} else if (state == 0) {
			state = 10;  // 1010 = [IO 1, LED 1]
		}

// AXI
		stream_type val_in = axis_in.read();
		stream_type val_out;

// Here I check whether gpio input is detected
		ap_uint<14> bit_hit = (ap_uint<14>) gpio_i & (ap_uint<14>) 0x02;
		if (bit_hit == 0) {
                // I read gpio output and generate a val_out.data (should ideally always be 0x3)
			ap_uint<8> out_bit = (ap_uint<8>) gpio_o & (ap_uint<8>) 0x01;
			val_out.data = (1<<1) | out_bit;
		} else {
                // If nothing detected, set 0
			val_out.data = 0;
		}

// As a slave to tutorials, I just copy over everything I don't understand.
		val_out.keep = val_in.keep;
		val_out.strb = val_in.strb;
		val_out.user = val_in.user;
		val_out.last = val_in.last;
		val_out.id = val_in.id;
		val_out.dest = val_in.dest;

axis_out.write(val_out);

} else {
		usr_gpio = 0;
	}

// Set output
	return state;

}

Now, I allocate streams on PS, send to PL and read output buffer. This is the AXI stream I read from PS:
[0, 0, 0, 2, 2, 0, 3, 2, 2, 0, 0, 3, …]

The 0’s are fine I though, and the 3’s. But what the hell are the 2’s. 2 = b’10’, that means I hit this line

val_out.data = (1<<1) | out_bit;

But how can gpio input be detected without anything being outputted.
Furthermore, bitstream is generated at 100MHz clock. If setting the clock to 250MHz (in PS from pynq.clocks), there are more 3’s in the stream to PS, while setting lower frequencies… say 25MHz, all 3’s are gone and only 0’s and 2’s are read.

Theories:

• I have misunderstand FPGA’s chronological execution and this alignment is completely random!?
  • I should not set TLAST on every cycle, only when stream in buffer is finished. !?

I have only tested this running USB powered Pynq (since power supply doesn’t work anymore, something went brrr and board won’t power up using the supply. If design looks good to y’all then this might be the issue!?

Appendix :slight_smile:
This my AXI DMA setup

This isn’t really a PYNQ specific issue. You may be better posting this on the Xilinx forums.
https://forums.xilinx.com/

Some suggestions, did you run cosim for this design? You coudl also simulate to make sure it is behaving as you expect.

If you generate the bitstream at 100MHz, and then change the clock to 250 MHz, the design may have some timing errors at the faster clock speed.
Cathal

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I’ve posted in Xilinx forums.
Do you think the USB powered case might have to do anything with timing problems?

I would say very unlikely that it is a (USB) power issue. Your board should reset if the power supply isn’t sufficient.

Cathal

1 Like