How can I run Vitis kernels on ZYNQ

1. Hello I have created small design based on VADD example from Vitis 2019.2
    I have loaded new bitstream and now I’m stuck. How can I run a kernel manually?

vector_addition.zip (295.6 KB)
    This is for Minized. PYNQ 2.5.4 based on 2.5 PYNQ SD DIST and 2.5 Ready image.

2. Will you fix the issue with lack of HDMI license while rebuilding ZCU bitstream? I don’t think that PYNQ will be buildable for people without these in next PYNQ release…

3. Will Edge platforms be supported in PYNQ 2.6?

I can’t wait for next release :slight_smile:
keep up the good work!

Hi Bartokon,

Great job on getting PYNQ running on the MiniZed!

A2) To answer the licensing issue, it is really the HDMI/video IP that is requiring it. If you have an SDSoC license (rather than using the Web Pack or plain Vivado license) that should solve the issue. The PYNQ v2.5 distribution and included overlays were created with v2019.1 tools, SDSoC 2019.1 was the last version for it. 2019.2 and forward is all about Vitis. In most cases Overlays created with the newer version of tools including Vitis accelerators will work if PYNQ has all the parts including XRT built into it.

But a better overall solution for building and getting around the license issue might be to follow the sage advice here:

A1) As far as running the kernel manually I’d advise against that but you did make PYNQ work on MiniZed so I recognize you are very determined :slight_smile: You will want to study Xilinx XRT if you haven’t already and figure out how to get that onboard. To get the XRT support built into PYNQ you could take a look at the Ultra96 platform, the github and the bsp configurations that are piled on top of the standard PYNQ ones and also how Vitis AI is integrated into that platform. If you tried that already and MiniZed doesn’t have enough resources and that is why you are asking then I can’t help you much on that one, it would be new territory.

A3) It is unofficially mostly supported on v2.5.1, see Vitis AI for the edge platform Ultra96 for an example. I can’t answer for v2.6.

Kind regards

1 Like

Thanks for reply pynqzen!

A2) I’m using license file generated for my Laptop and now I’m using it on vmware, so I think license manager doesn’t recognize disc UUID and that why I have errors while building PYNQ from scratch (but still I’m using the same pc!)

A1) I have used recipes from petalinux 2019.2 version for xrt and opencv, then copied includes/libraries to minized.helloword but I got this error:

I think plain copy and paste XRT just won’t work. (Maybe I’m missing kernel driver…)

For now, I will focus on more basic things with PYNQ like streaming and DMA. In the meanwhile 2.6.0 should be released.

Thank you for new ideas, that problem with license would hunt me for the rest of my days :smiley: