How to connect ethernet port to PL

Hi, I want to send data via ethernet to my board - PYNQ Z1 - and then do some basic data processing on it. For example, the data I send could be information about a stock, and then I have verilog to unpack the data and do basic processing on it, then put together a message to output via ethernet again. How would I do this - in particular, is it at all possible?, if so, what IPs would I need and how would I wire them up to my “data_processing_unit”. I want to use the existing ethernet port on the board too if possible. If there are any tutorials or recommendations on this, that would also be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Hi @rgbblue,

The Ethernet port on the PYNQ-Z1 is connected to the PS.
If you would like to accelerate data on the PL, you will have to transfer to it.

I suggest you check the DMA tutorial for this.

Mario

1 Like

Cool thank you, I don’t really want to use python libraries to access the DMA, to read from and write to it - for learning purposes, How would I go about this?

Hi @rgbblue,

If you’re not planning to use PYNQ, you may be better of checking in the Xilinx forums.
Check the Vitis embedded application development documentation to see how you can do this.

Mario