PYNQ 2.7 DFX Partial Reconfiguration under Vivado 2020.2

Hello all,

Introduction

Due to limited support on the modulator(s) about example of DFX and procedure.
I will try to share the DFX on PYNQ 2.7 flow and method that I think it is working.
The goal is to provide a simplest and easiest start of DFX on PR.
No “composite overlay”, no other installation just PYNQ default API.

First we are targeting Vivado 2020.2 not 2020.2.# which is the same build revision of the PYNQ on SD Image.
So the first element is to make sure it is aligning both SD image build environment.
There are many concerns why DFX is having hard time on 2020.2 is because Xilinx introduce BDC after 2020 version.

Design

Step 1. HLS IP for the PR-Block

Both the AXI-Stream HLS IP will be attached via GitHub:

Step 2. Vivado Project

As usually, we are going build the project. However we will stop at the stage of synthesis and run tcl command afterward.

The overall block images are shown below:

As for the PR section:

After the first PR-IP is synthesized:

We will open the synthesis design and start series of TCL command to generate the required bitstream and block-box to hold our PR-Block design.

A: We will save one of the full design cell that we are going to PR.

Remember to change to current working directory before start.
It will be nicer to make a folder to hold these check point as well.

In the below path_to_cell, please see the left hierarchy and see the name and layer.

write_checkpoint -cell pr_example_i/pr_sec/pr_sub_0 sub_cell.dcp

B: Change the sub IP to add and synthesis again

Once the synthesis is completed, we will open the Synthesis Design and save the checkpoint as (a) had shown.

write_checkpoint -cell pr_example_i/pr_sec/pr_add_0 add_cell.dcp

C: Modify the cell to a reconfigurable cell via GUI (easier)

Press the + sign to add properties.

Check the checker box to enable the function.
And make sure the DONT TOUCH checker box is activated (if this cannot be seen in the list add to see).

d: Assign P-Block via right click on cell.

Now we are going to floor-plan the Cell that can be configured.
Make sure the P-Block reset and snapping is set as shown:

After assign the section, we will undergo a DRC to make sure things is good.
Goto Report and run DRC:

E: DC - Design Compile

Back to tcl command window and run the follow commands:

opt_design
place_design
route_design

Once the DC flow is completed, we will make a check point.

write_checkpoint pr_add.dcp

F: Change the current design to a black-box and load other PR design.

update_design -cell pr_example_i/pr_sec/pr_add_0 -blackbox
lock_design -level routing

As we can see the orange color represent the design locked while the BB is now ready to reload other design.
Make a check point to reserve for future usage.

write_checkpoint pr_bb.dcp

F: Load previous SUB IP back to the BB

read_checkpoint -cell pr_example_i/pr_sec/pr_add_0 ./sub_cell.dcp

Follow Step E to DC.
After DC, write the check point as pr_sub.dcp

G: Verify and compare the PR design over different variants

To ensure the loaded design to the BB is correct preform a verification

pr_verify -initial pr_sub.dcp -additional pr_add.dcp

H: Export Bit-Stream

Open each check point via tcl command window:

open_checkpoint pr_add.dcp
write_bitstream -file pr_add.bit

We should see 1 base bit-stream along with a partial bitstream for the PR-Block.

open_checkpoint pr_sub.dcp
write_bitstream -file pr_sub.bit

Now we are all set. Ready to turn on the PYNQ board to transfer these files.

Script and PYNQ Setup

Now we will need the hwh and one of the full bit-stream either pr_add or pr_sub as the core are the same.
We are going to renaming a bit for better reading, for the pr_add/pr_sub.bit → pr_full.bit along with the hwh.
As for the pr-bit-stream as shown below:

First we loaded a sub PR:

Now we try out a add PR:

Wonderful, we can reprogram the PL wo touching the other PL fixed design.

Enjoy~ =]

1 Like

Hi briansune,

May I ask you for dfx decoupler, what is you interface options? do you use 2 interfaces? And for interface VLNV, do you use aximm or axi? Also, what is the global options?
And now it seems that they suggest use hierarchy block. Do you try hierarchy block?

Thank you very much!

1 Like

@luwawa

Q1) DFX De-coupler can be AXI, simple pin which can be set in the IP itself. And the tutorial used simple pin method as this is just a simple stream example which can be considered as time interval action (no async crossing consideration).

Q2) Global options is a bit unclear what you are referring need more elaborate.

Q3) As Mario haven’t answer the question or maybe he is not clear how to activate the dict function in real application. I don’t think this is necessary to use in basic PYNQ 2.7 setup. Meantime, my tutorial itself and the post you are referring to do show there is a hierarchy block which also confirmed by Mario response what hierarchy definition.

Also this is very stupid on PR working actually!! The partial bitstream will never load to any other location as it is predefined in the design, so if not consider the detaching sanity and the pr-bitstream is correct and real. There will not even a chance this could return ERROR from the beginning.

So my original question is trying to open up a better handover environment aka python dict to allow other engineers to see what the pr-bitstream or the block is referring.

So I will highly suggest know what PR really used for. The major goal is a part of LE MUST run all the time or cannot reprogram during run time and forcing the PR become a good usage.

And also no offense to composable overlay:

If we are going to activate a pipeline action which introduce PR block as well there will also a period of time the action on the LE will stall.
So above the case overlay.load(full_bitstream) vs [d-c pr load d-c rerun].
Well this depends on the user and I had no good data to compare.

=] Enjoy~

1 Like

hello,your github link have not run.tcl,can you give me the run.tcl?
thanks

@WhatTechTalk_Calvin

Sorry Calvin, I haven’t had time to make a tcl script to automate all stuff here.
Follow the steps. It is similar to tcl command script. Manual and auto different, cannot be lazy this part as this is a tutorial.

Opps, I forgot, Calvin, if you are using 3.0.1 PYNQ there are no point to use this method as there are BDC - Block Design Containers. However, flow are almost the same idea.

Enjoy~

In case there is an unclear how to activate diamond zip:

All old DFX Vivado project rely on diamond zip method to run partial reconfiguration:

Once you had enable Dynamic Function eXchange

WARNING THIS ACTION IS NO-RETURN!!!

As we can see the Dynamic Function eXchange Wizard to control the PR block synthesis.

Remember you CANNOT use block as diamond zip but only RTL design manual signal mapping.

Hope this could help out more =]

ENJOY~

1 Like

@WhatTechTalk_Calvin

See the link below:

ENJOY~

PJ5`SSM@H_SFGZLBQ2N9L8M
Hello, I gained a lot from reading your tutorial. However, as a student who has just started learning about DFX, I have some doubts regarding the Block Design. My IP core is an image processing function exported from HLS with AXI protocol, including AXI-Lite control signals. I would like to know how to integrate it with the decoupler and connect everything together in the Block Design. I would appreciate it if you could provide me with some guidance. Thanks!

1 Like

@Phantom

Question are forwarded onto GitHub:

Quote:
Q1, my decoupler is like this in vivado 2022.2, should I use 2020.2?
Q2, my IP has axi-lite control signal to control the IP core to start or done. Just like this,

R1 / R2
I am afraid you do not need such method if you used newer Vivado as Block Design Container is allowed in newer version.
So all you need is just a decoupler to disable the logic temporary then activate after reloaded.
You should learn more about BDC DFX method.

Q3
OK,i’ll search for some tutorials. But when connecting decoupler,can i connect the signals as you did? I have s_axi_CTRL including ap_start and ap_done, and how can i handle this signal? I feel confused as I am new to this field and still working hard to learn relevant knowledge. Thank you once again.

R3
U need to know why u need a decoupler from first place after you understand the reasons.
U should able to know how to settle all signals that are going to reconfigured.
Any signal that are going to reconfigured must settle in the same way as above mentioned.
Reconfiguration is easier on aligned signal blocks if some signal is not used after reconfigured then a dummy must be placed.
I cant suggest more than internal search and learn maybe ChatGPT could help out more than my words.