PYNQ 3.0.1 BaseOverlay package no longer works

Hi all,

From the document of PYNQ latest:
https://pynq.readthedocs.io/en/latest/pynq_overlays/loading_an_overlay.html

I am not sure this is no longer support or there are some build issue?

Thank you

Hi,

What board are you using?

Do you have a base overlay for that board? Is this base overlay in the correct directory?

The directory structure should look like this

tree overlays
overlays
β”œβ”€β”€ base
β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ base.bit
β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ base.hwh
β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ base.py
β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ constants.py
β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ __init__.py
β”œβ”€β”€ __init__.py

Mario

@marioruiz

1. Custom board
  2. I don’t think this is related to the directory structure while the package itself not even loadable. So this is nothing to do with the base.bit and base.hwh.

However, the setting of the base overlay are all aligned with the build of PYNQ 2.7 so if there are any update on those steps please point out and cross-check if this is the case.

So elaborate a bit more what do I mean aligned with the build of PYNQ 2.7. The board setup folder of PYNQ 3.0.1 git repository is directly copied from the PYNQ 2.7 build environment board setup folder.

Thank you

I won’t discard this.

What is your directory structure and what is in the content of __init__.py file inside of the base directory.

@marioruiz

I do understand your point mario, the missing files could make the package unloadable.

But I am lost a bit, during the SD image build. What is the suggested board/base files to invoke the tree you had mentioned?

PYNQ 3.0.1

* vs your folder tree

overlays
β”œβ”€β”€ base
β”‚ β”œβ”€β”€ base.bit
β”‚ β”œβ”€β”€ base.hwh
β”‚ β”œβ”€β”€ base.py
β”‚ β”œβ”€β”€ constants.py
β”‚ β”œβ”€β”€ init.py
β”œβ”€β”€ init.py

If you look at the __init__.py file for all of the base overlays you will see that the BaseOverlay is being imported. If this is not done, you end up with an error like the one you are getting.

Mario

1 Like

@marioruiz

I misunderstand the build script and thought it is auto generate both the base.py and init.py.
So ends up user need to create your own python script rather than smart hwh scan and generate the script automatically. My bad~

Thank you