XRT on PYNQ-Z2

Hi,
I would like to know if the PYNQ-Z2 supports XRT, since I want to be able to run OpenCL codes on this FPGA, using the Cortex-A9 as the host. As far as I know, this is supported in some Zynq-7000 boards through the embedded platforms in Vitis: Downloads. However, it seems there is no official platform for the FPGA in the PYNQ-Z2 board and I’ve failed to create a custom platform with the XSA file. Do you know whether it’s possible at all to use OpenCL on this board?

Thank you,
Gabriel

3 Likes

same question ? @cathalmccabe please help us

No, OpenCL is not supported for PYNQ.
There are two parts to OpenCL for FPGAs - host code and the code for the hardware design.
PYNQ APIs are the equivalent, or used instead of OpenCL for host code. For hardware design the Xilinx tools have support for OpenCL pragmas, but the recommendation is to use Vitis HLS.

Cathal

1 Like

It is worth mention the PYNQ board is not good enough to support these idea must use 7035 or above FPGA

I have an idea but correct me if I am wrongly considered as I had more experience on Altera FPGA.
Usually OpenCL consider the reconfiguration on FPGA.
So the phy layer should be PYNQ (ARM FPGA manager overlay ) → [PCIE overlay layer, PCIE connect to host and run openCL dev]
The area can be considered into two methods:
A: PYNQ load the PCIE overlay the the host PC uses general dev flow:
Meantime the PYNQ share info between the PCIE layer aka ARM control

B: PYNQ load the PCIE overlay with the reconfig stack bit on runtime.

I will highly consider A method as this is much much easier to achieve.

How about pynqzu? This one should be good enough for XRT.