RFSoC4x2 fails to boot when using the precompiled PYNQ image

I’m working with a (completely new) RFSoC4x2 card and have downloaded the precompiled “RFSoC 4x2 v3.0.1” image from PYNQ - Python productivity for Zynq - Board. This image is written/burned/formatted to a 16GB microSD card using Win32DiskImager.
The appended log is outputted via the serial port when powering on. The green INIT is never lit, and the display does not power on. I lack the knowledge to interpret from the log what is wrong, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Some extra info that might be relevant:

• It may seem like the image pre-installed on the microSD card that came in the box caused the same problem. I am however not sure, as I reformatted it prior to learning about the serial output and simply thought it was an empty SD card.

• The lit LEDs on the card are: the red INIT LED; a green and a blue LED at the power switch; 2 red LEDs at the ‘USB DEVICES’; all 10 (green) ‘POWER SUPPLY STATUS’ LEDs; PS_LD 0 and 1 (green); VIO (green); SEQ_OK (green).

Attempt at appending the log file:
log.txt (55.7 KB)

1 Like

Hi @rajliv,

Just to double check. Is the switch (BOOT) next to the SD card in the SD position?

Mario

Yes, the boot switch was/is in the SD position. The power switch is obviously on, and the programmable switches are all in ‘down’ (away from the the chip itself).

Observation: When I do boot with with the boot switch in the JTAG position there is seemingly no serial output. Should the JTAG position have an output?

Hi @rajliv,

Can you try with a different (brand new) SD card?

Mario

Hi
While I have not had the opportunity of trying your suggestion of changing microSD card, I did manage to get the board working using the version 2.7 image (previous version).

I have added a copy of the serial output of the initialisation sequence just in case it may be useful in identifying the bug.
log_rfsoc_v2_7.txt (40.7 KB)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.