Zynq Z2 Industrial Application

I have recently gotten my hands on a Zynq Z2 board and so far I am very impressed. I am looking at developing an industrial application that would use this board and I was hoping to get some suggestions of tutorials that might help me with the process.

The application will use the FPGA to read about 15 inputs and set about 15 outputs (digital). I will also need to read a couple of encoder signals and set a couple of PWM outputs. In the future it may need to read an SPI device but that’s not 100%. I was planning on implementing the IO control in the FPGA and using the ARM processor to interface to the outside world through the network port so I will need to have some python code to read the IO from the FPGA and then talk to external PCs using some sort of TCP interface.

As this will be an industrial application the overlay for the FPGA and the python code will need to load on boot without having to use the development tools.

Does anyone have any suggestions for tutorials that might help me with this, any help is appreciated!! Also I take it that my use case for the Zynq Z2 is possible?

1 Like

Hi @Mike,

Welcome to the PYNQ community.

First of all, the PYNQ-Z2 is a board designed for educational purposes. Using it for an industrial application may be a stretch.

the overlay for the FPGA and the python code will need to load on boot without having to use the development tools.

You can use the boot.py file to do this.

Does anyone have any suggestions for tutorials that might help me with this, any help is appreciated!!

There are tutorials in the Learn section. You can also find this useful GitHub - Xilinx/PYNQ_Workshop
Based on your description, it seems that you need a traditional FPGA development flow, for this the Xilinx forums are more appropiate.

You could also consider using GPIO to drive the I/O, the feasibility of this may depend on the speed you need to toggle the I/O.

Mario

1 Like